GrowSF - Full-time Content Strategist and Writer
Published May 01, 2023
GrowSF is a non-partisan organization that wants San Francisco to be safe, clean, affordable, and vibrant. Our local leaders are not focused on actual progress, and residents feel under-informed about local issues and elections. We want to change that.
The Content Strategist and Writer will play a key role in helping GrowSF reach and engage with San Francisco residents who care about making their city work. This includes managing our social media presence, writing our weekly newsletter, creating website content, and occasionally managing freelance writers.
We are looking for someone who can write about politics and government in a way that's approachable and informative, with a focus on issues such as public safety, education, and housing. Our primary goal is to educate residents with accurate information and high-quality writing.
The ideal candidate will be able to distill complex policy issues into clear and concise language, have a passion for creating content that resonates with a wide audience, and have strong analytical skills to measure success. They will work closely with other team members to develop and execute content strategies that grow our audience, drive engagement, and spread knowledge.
- Develop and drive the content strategy for GrowSF, working closely with other team members to ensure alignment with our mission and goals.
- Set clear OKRs for content creation and distribution, regularly tracking and reporting progress to the team. Use data and research to make informed decisions and iterate on our strategy.
- Write and publish our weekly newsletter, regularly post on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and occasionally write petitions for advocacy campaigns.
- Manage the production of longer form website content, including writing original pieces as well as editing and proofreading content from freelance writers.
- Develop and maintain a content calendar, ensuring that all content is published on time and aligns with our overall strategy.
- Be creative and find new ways to reach people where they are.
- Experience in content strategy and creation, with a strong background in writing about politics and government.
- Deep love and familiarity with San Francisco and its culture. Good understanding of San Francisco politics.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with the ability to write in a variety of styles and for different audiences.
- Incredibly data driven. Ability to set clear OKRs, track progress, and present data and insights in a clear and concise manner to the team.
- Experience using Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Substack including the analytics tools within each service.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, search engine optimization (SEO), and keyword research to improve the discoverability of our content.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines. Organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Independent, self-motivated, and focused.
To apply, email writing samples (including Tweets) and your résumé or LinkedIn profile to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is full-time and is not remote. The annual salary for this position is $85,000 to $125,000 based on experience. You will work in the GrowSF office to collaborate with the GrowSF team.
GrowSF provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.