The Bold Italic - Part-time Social Media Manager
Published February 01, 2023
The Bold Italic is a beloved brand and online magazine that celebrates the character and free-wheeling spirit of San Francisco and the Bay Area.
We are rebooting The Bold Italic to appeal to a new generation of San Franciscans. Let’s highlight what’s great about our city to young people moving here (or dreaming of it) from around the country.
We need you to help us on Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, or any other social media people are using. You won’t just be making content, you’ll be setting strategy and executing it, building an editorial calendar, and hiring freelancers as needed. Want to run a multi-week experiment or new initiative? Just set your KPIs, get buy-in, stay on budget, and go!
The Bold Italic has over 200,000 pageviews every month. This is a unique opportunity to relaunch a beloved San Francisco publication that already has a large following with positive content and grow the brand's reach. We are looking for someone who will be able to create and implement new ideas to increase readership, social media engagement, and, most importantly, a sense of joy and pride in everything that makes this city unique.
- Deep love and familiarity with San Francisco and its culture
- Strong social media, writing, and editing skills
- A passion for storytelling and a fun-loving attitude
- Experience in social media required; journalism or editorial experience a nice bonus
- Be independent, self-motivated, and focused. We don't want to tell you what to do; you will need to seek out work and drive our mission
- Organized with a strong attention to detail
We'll rely on you to do whatever needs to be done for The Bold Italic to succeed. We are data and outcome driven. You will need to prioritize your tasks based on impact, and do what has the highest ROI.
Your responsibilities involve social media, writing, and editing:
- Manage and post to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, or any new social media people are using
- Track key success metrics and change how we operate to keep the audience growing and happy
- Cover cultural events with photos and videos, using your authentic voice
Creating original content
- Create original content every week - photos, videos, and text
- Focus on positive stories, entertainment, events, culture, and human interest stories
- Celebrate San Francisco, keep content light-hearted and non-political
- Build an editorial calendar
- Recruit and edit freelance contributors (3-5 per contributions week)
- Ensure contributors are productive and happy
- Edit and send a weekly newsletter
To apply, email writing samples and your résumé or LinkedIn profile to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is part time and is not remote. The hourly rate for this position is $20 to $40 based on experience. You will work in the GrowSF office to collaborate with the GrowSF team, which is located in the Mid-Market area of San Francisco and convenient to dozens of public transit routes.
GrowSF provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.